
Our not-so-new home has been in dire need of some furnishing. We still don't have any comfortable furniture (save this wicker number I mentioned before, pictured here, that seems to have become quite accustomed to living indoors rather than out on the deck where it belongs), and the bare windows have been staring, bug-eyed, groaning at me to please dress them. Never would I have imagined I'd have quite so satisfying an experience in the process of doing so.

I was able to use up a BAG of fabric my mother had given me maybe five years ago, and not at all to the aesthetic detriment of the house, as I imagined. I always thought this fabric was pretty ugly, but I now realize that was due to my looking at it through my clothing-design-biased lens (not to mention that it has been a huge crumbled mass in a plastic bag, and nothing more, since I got it).
Anyway, I lined them simply in white, and, using the quickest curtain design possible, now have pleasant windows and cozier spaces.
Pretty difficult to get nice pictures of a thin pair of curtains. On a bright evening. Facing west. But, you get the idea. Here Gideon is engaged in his favorite --indeed his only-- kind of farm play: "peeling horses." His words, for real. The barn is filled with a handful of plastic hand-me-down horses, this particular type painted with a sort of fur-like outer layer (that, when encouraged, peels off like a ripe blister). Sorry for the ugly analogy. Needless to say, for those of us old enough to empathize with other living things -- and.. inanimate plastic versions of living things -- its a pretty terrible thing to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment